Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul Hovnanian P.E. Paul Hovnanian P.E. is offline

Default Dangerous chuck mounting? 12" South Bend chuck

Ignoramus11200 wrote:

Look at this pictu

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis...Chuck-4545.jpg

This is a 12" lathe chuck for South Bend lathes.

My question is that the mounting seems to be a simple thread. There is
no "lock" like there is on L type mounts, or on camlock chucks etc.

So, it could happen that the big chuck would unscrew itself during
stopping if RPM was too high, the brake was applied too vigorously, or
something broke inside the gearbox. The chuck weighs about 100 lbs, so
having it bounce around the shop would not necessarily be a great
experience.

Am I missing anything?

Its difficult to tell from this photo. My little Grizzly benchtop lathe has
two clamps that are held on to the chuck with some bolts. The spindle has a
grove into which the clamps engage.

The requisite threaded holes might not show up if the photo was taken at the
wrong angle.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Have gnu, will travel.