Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus11200 Ignoramus11200 is offline

Default Dangerous chuck mounting? 12" South Bend chuck

On 2009-05-21, Ecnerwal wrote:
Simply the fact that such mounts are not intended for use with braking
or reversing - at most slow speed light cut reverse if any reverse at
all. I've got a couple - a 2 x 6 on one and a 2-1/2 x 6 on another,
IIRC. Lathes that will swing 20 and 17 inches, respectively, with flat
belt drive and Babbit bearings, about 130 years old.

If you do anything stupid, they will bite you. You either learn to not
do stupid things, or you learn that you need a more modern lathe with a
more idiot-resistant chuck/faceplate mount.

Well, I am glad that on my Clausing, I can use brake, reverse etc and
the chuck will never unscrew itself, due to a keyway.

With a 12" chuck, it is plainly a scary thought to use a lathe if it
has a brake, or an ability to power reverse.