Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Blow down vessel sizing ? - any Ideas

On Thu, 21 May 2009 01:54:45 -0700, Pressure Vessel Manufacturer wrote:

Boiler Blowdown Vessel Size Conundrums:

Does anyone have any hard and fast rules on boiler blowdown vessel
sizing ?
We manufacture a range of Blowdown receivers and supply then to a broad
spectrum of companies.
Many use their own rule of thumb methods for sizing and some more
technical - we ourselves aim within the guidelines of publications like
PM60.
HSE publication PM60 is mostly re-produced here and you will see it
leaves plenty to the imagination in reality:
www.air-receivers.co.uk/blowdown_vessels.htm Does anyone employ another
method (without 6 pages of thermodynamics calculations) that they find
reliable ? Many of our smaller clients and operators of steam plant seem
divided over the 'best way' - bearing in mind the larger the vessel is
the more it will cost, so if they don't offer like for like they could
be priced out of the job.

Answers on a Postcard ?

Abbott & Co.(Newark) Ltd
Newark Boiler Works
Northern Rd
Newark
Notts. NG24 2EJ
Tel: 01636 704208
Fax 01636 705742
www.air-receivers.co.uk
http://www.air-receivers.co.uk/air_receivers.htm
http://www.air-receivers.co.uk/pressure_vessels.htm

How much do you want to bet that those 6 pages of thermodynamics
calculations are based on assumptions that may or may not be true, and
the real answer is "put it in and see if it's big enough"?

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com