Posted to rec.woodworking
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default It won't go away by itself. (Verrry scary political)

Robatoy wrote:
On May 20, 9:41 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Douglas Johnson wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote:

I'll grant you the Bush administration was arrogant - they all are
(see "Jane's Law"). But corrupt? Hardly. In the entire eight years
of the Bush administration, ONE person was convicted of
impropriety, and that for testimony about a crime that never
happened.

So far. The Spanish are considering war crimes charges against six
senior Bush administration officials:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009...bay-torture-in...

This is being done under the 1984 UN Convention against Torture,
signed and ratified by the US. This has the same legal basis as the
arrest of Chili's General Pinochet in Britain in 1998. He died
before going to trial.

I believe the US has tried and convicted nationals of other
countries under this treaty, so the precedent is solid. -- Doug

First, there's a difference as to whether the acts undertaken by the
U.S. constitute "torture" as defined by the treaty.

Secondly, there's a jurisdictional problem:

"The Convention requires states to take effective measures to prevent
torture within their borders, and forbids states to return people to
their home country if there is reason to believe they will be
tortured."

Any acts taken by the U.S. did not take place within the U.S.
border, so this part of the treaty doesn't apply.

Thirdly, Spain hasn't done anything yet. If they do, they'll regret
it.

...by doing what? Try to keep in mind that Spain is a member of the
European Union.... a whole different ball game than it was 70 years
ago.

Good question.

1. The U.S. could close its naval base at Rota, eliminating some 8,000 jobs
that finance the local community. That's about $200 million a year in
salaries alone. Other U.S. military bases in Spain include:

Moron Air Base, Seville, and
Torrejon Air Base

2. We could dig up all the roads connecting Spain and the U.S.

3. Spain exports about $10 billion to the U.S. annually. Some of that could
be at risk.

4. Spain lost one war against the U.S. I don't think they'd risk another.