Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Building a small low balcony.

"mm" wrote in message

It also says "Use Approved Joist Hanger". I would probably use them
because I'm a rank amateur , but surely a pro can still bulld a deck
without metal joist hangers. Don't you think?

Yes,but they often use nails that rust over time and the joists joints can
weaken and eventually fall. They are in the code for a reason; past
problems.

This is probably not the same building inspector they send out for new
construction. One of my neigbhors is annoyed at me, and filed a
complaint, so this is the complaint inspector. I wonder if his
standards will be the same.

Probably. Our town only has one insptector so new or repiar, that is the
guy you get.

Safer though.

Yeah, but no one EVER goes there but me, and I only passed through it
on the way to the yard. Now that the stairs will be right in front of
the opening in the sliding glass door, and it's only two feet deep,
I'll never go on the rest of it. (I had been thinking of taking out
the whole deck and just putting in steps. But this is easier and
looks nicer, and as a table or work bench when I'm in the back yard,
it will have some uses.)

There is a code about the steps and a landing so you may still need some
sort of stoop, usually about 24". You cannot go right from house to step.