Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default GE Profile Fridge not cooling

"Steve Kraus" wrote in message
news
We have a GE Profile side by side (TPX24BIY or maybe TPX24SIY) which is
plenty cold in the freezer side but barely cooling on the fridge side.
It's running continuously.

I know from past experience these models are very touchy when the
condensor
gets dirty but I gave it a good cleaning about a week back and they
normally go back to normal operation within a day or two but not so this
time and as I said the freezer is solidly (below-zero) cold. Refrigerator
is only 40-50 range.

Before I call in the pros I want to check on the defrost system since I've
read that a defrost failure can account for this problem. Where is the
timer on this model? I don't see it on diagrams. I want to see if there
is a problem with the timer or the defrost heater. If nothing checks out
there then time for pro help. But where is it located? There are no
fancy
electronic controls on this model.

I do not know where any components are located in your refrigerator but your
problem is caused by lack of airflow from the evaporator coil in the freezer
unit into the refrigerator. It could be blocked by ice, blocked by something
in the way of the air channels, or the fan might be inoperative. Locate the
air channels and do whatever is necessary to get the air moving thru and
your problem will be solved.

Leaving the refrigerator turned off will eventually melt any ice, even if
the defrost system is not working. A plugged condensate water drain can
contribute to icing up so be sure it drains well. Be careful not to damage
the coils if you try to defrost it; do not use an ice pick! Your problem now
is minor, just don't make it worse.

Don Young