Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design
DJ Delorie DJ Delorie is offline

Default Wiring a Wall Type RJ45 Jack

FatBytestard writes:
Absolutely not. ALL pairs are ALL made EXACTLY the same.

I figured someone would say that, so I grabbed an orange pair and a
green pair off my work table and compared them before I posted to make
sure. I just re-checked, green is about 3.5 half-twists per inch,
orange is about 4.5. It's pretty consistent along the 2.5-foot
lengths I happened to have handy.

So no, all the pairs are not all exactly the same.

No. Wiring it wrong gets you half duplex operation (sometimes) AND
un-terminated lines exhibiting the stray signals that end up getting
referred to as cross-talk.

Only if you wire one end wrong. If you wire both ends the same wrong
way, you don't get the same type of problems.

http://www.networkclue.com/hardware/...rmination.aspx

That page disagrees with you:

"One thing that I have noticed though is that in CAT5e, the orange
and green pairs are twisted tighter than the blue and brown
pairs. So do not expect to get the CAT5e quality on the network drop
using the split pairs (brown and blue)."

In my case, blue 3.8 htpi, brown 2.8 htpi.