Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default Cordless drill speed control chip burnt out. Can anyone identify it from this?

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message

"lardconcepts" wrote in message
On 18 May, 21:28, Franc Zabkar wrote:
On Mon, 18 May 2009 13:01:26 -0700 (PDT), lardconcepts
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Spear and Jackson Cordless Drill model SJ-CD18KUK

Worked fine for years, mechanically sound. Now after a short time of
use, there's a puff of smoke and it slows right down. Upon opening up,
I see this smoke is pouring from the centre of a 3-legged regulator
device on a heatsink.

I have looked herehttp://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?menuno=12489
but can't find anything with similar numbers. The markings are
NEC
K2 ??4
82M

The ?? are two numbers I can't see, as that's where the burnt hole is!

I suspect it is a 2SK2??4 MOSFET which is being switched in PWM mode
to control the speed of the motor.

One possible suspect is a 2SK2984 20A 30V "SWITCHING N-CHANNEL POWER
MOS FET INDUSTRIAL USE ... designed for high current switching
application":http://www.datasheetarchive.com/pdf-...ts-22/DSA-4325...

For other possibilities, check page 301 and onwards of this NEC
selection
guide:http://www.datasheetarchive.com/pdf-...ts-16/DSA-3172...

Wow, Franc, I am very impressed! OK, sadly it seems that I might have
my work cut out finding this chip. Certainly not Maplin that sells it,
or in fact any of those chips.

But you have given me a very good start. I wish I knew as much about
electronics.

If you want to learn about electronics, don't ever go to Maplin. You
will be told and sold a load of rubbish.

Here's somewhere else you can try if Farnell, RS, CPC etc are tricky with
one off small quantities:

http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.co...ewood/home.php

Gareth.

How do you get on with Cricklewood these days, Gareth ? I used to use them
a lot, but since they became part of that bigger group, I seem to have had
endless problems with items not being in stock - although you don't get to
know it until the delivery is missing that item - and then having to wait
sometimes a couple of weeks or more, until they can get it. A couple of
times, that caused me embarrassment with a customer, when I had told them
when their repair would be ready, based on having ordered a part from
them, only for it not to turn up, so recently, I have stopped ordering
from them.

Arfa

Well funny you should say that cos up til now they have been fine. Haven't
used them for a couple of months or so now, but I Internetted an order
yesterday for some Power transistors and a hard to find driver - this
morning I received the power transistors but not the now even harder to find
driver And no explanation either, just that missing line highlighted
in luminous green.

I wasn't aware they had been taken over, perhaps this is the end of what was
a very useful company to know (I could usually find all the odd
transistors/old DRAMs etc I ever wanted)

Gareth.