Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Voltage/frequency converter questions

Jon Anderson wrote:
Ned & Bill,

Thanks for the input. Gunner thinks my Omniturn control might run OK
on 50hz, and it dawns on me that perhaps my home brew power supply for
the CNC mill might work OK too since power is rectified to DC.
Certainly, both computer's power supplies can be switched to 220/50Hz.

If I'm going to do anything for power conversion, I thought I might as
well go all out so that the many 110v tools I have can be used. Baldor
carbide grinder, the Deckel I still hope to obtain, torque limiting
power screwdriver, hand drills, power shears, grinders, Dremels, etc.
Individually not terribly expensive, but as a whole there is a lot of
capability in all these tools that would cost a pretty penny to
repurchase over there. And I have a pretty killer shop stereo setup
I'd love to take along.... G.

Lots to consider, have to start somewhere!

Jon

I don't know about Australia but in the UK tools on building sites have
to be 110V for safety reasons and so 240V to 110V transformers are
readily available and not particularly expensive. I don't think the
universal motors will mind the frequency difference.