Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Voltage/frequency converter questions

On Tue, 19 May 2009 18:06:14 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

Now on to the equipment, I could cut back to a smaller generator if I
could run the 3 phase machines on 50Hz. Both Hardinge lathes state 60Hz,
as does the 5hp motor on my CNC mill. The Bridgeport says 50 and 60hz if
I'm reading the stamped tag properly. I'm no electrical engineer, but it
doesn't look to me like it would be wise to try and run the other three
machines on 50Hz, but I find it curious the BP appears to be rated for it.

Thoughts? Comments?

If the motors that are not rated for 50Hz run hot, you can reduce the
voltage to 50/60 x nameplate voltage with buck transformers. The speed
and HP will also drop to 5/6 of the nameplate rating. This is exactly
what a basic VFD does, in fact, they're sometimes called V/Hz drives.

If you want the full speed and HP, a properly set up VFD will do it,
regardless of the input frequency.

--
Ned Simmons