Posted to alt.home.repair
in2dadark in2dadark is offline

Default Blowing out water lines with compressed air

On May 19, 5:31*pm, JerryM wrote:
On May 19, 12:34*pm, in2dadark wrote:

http://images.campingworld.com/is/im...10nUPDATE.jpg?

I want to use one of these to blow out my water lines on a vacation
home. I'm going to try to connect it to an outside hose fitting.
Problem is this is a male and I need to convert it to a female. Are
there adapters I can buy to do that. Or is there a fitting I can buy
that is made to attach to an outside hose fitting on a residence..?

I just cut about 3 feet off the end of an old garden hose, with the
female connector intact. Used a hose clamp to attach a male air hose
quick-disconnect to the cut-off end of the hose. Pop that into the end
of the hose from your compressor, and you're good to go.

One piece of advice - make SURE you turn off the breaker to your water
heater BEFORE you blow out your water lines, unless you like replacing
both elements. DAMHIKT.

Jerry

Even better.. I wish I had an old garden hose laying around. I guess
I have all summer to eyeball other people's trash. I always shut off
and drain the water heater .. thanks. And I drain the verticle
lines in the house with no problem.. The only area I have had problems
with is the horizontal lines along my basement ceiling.

In the past I had used an old air mattress inflator to get 'just
enough' water out of there. It worked one year. But last year I
forgot the inflator at my other place. And I ended up with a break
that I slapped some gator bites on. Luckily the water was turned off
when it broke and it was in an easy to get to spot..

This year, I want to do it right, so I'm using a compressor. What
pressure should I set it at? I'm seeing specs of 50-80 for an RV. So
I'm guessing 65 will be ok for my house...?

I have a oustide hose spigot that is one floor (+/-) higher than
another one and they are at opposite ends of the house. So I've been
blowing it out through the high one and out the lower one. I leave
them open when I'm gone hoping any water that's left will have a
place to move to when it freezes..