Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plumbing - How to calculate nipple length

We had complete confidence in you. You made us proud.

(Hope you sealed the threads with Rectorseal, or something
similar.)

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ray K" wrote in message
It turns out that Home Depot cannot thread nipples as short
as the
4-1/2" I needed. The outside diameter isn't the problem;
it's the length
that must be inserted into the threader. (I don't know what
that minimum
length is.)

The new valve is actually 3/8" (not 1/4") longer than the
old. So by
playing with the nipples on both side of the valve, and not
overtightening, I was able to get a good fits using standard
nipples,
which vary in 1/2" increments.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Ray