Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design
Jim Thompson Jim Thompson is offline

Default Wiring a Wall Type RJ45 Jack

On 19 May 2009 20:31:23 -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

Jim Thompson writes:
I presume I should use the "A" terminals, though I have not a clue,
I've never done anything but plug CAT-5 cables together before ;-)

Which is correct?

They're two different standards, both "correct". I use the B
configuration, which AFAIK is more reliable for higher speed ethernet.
Check your existing cables and see which they use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIA/EIA-568-B
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_6_cable

I had one long cable that didn't work with the A wiring (packet loss),
but did work with the B wiring. YMMV.

Aha! The cable says CAT5e, which, from the Wiki article, should be
the "B" configuration.

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Stormy on the East Coast today... due to Bush's failed policies.