Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default Voltage/frequency converter questions

I'm looking ahead to my eventual move to Australia, which might happen
sooner that I really want if things don't pick up around here soon.

I would like to take my whole shop, lock stock and barrel. Started
looking into voltage/frequency converters, and saw a post on a message
board about driving a 110-220v/60Hz generator with a 220/50Hz motor,
using a belt drive to run the generator at proper input rpm.
I easily run my 3 phase equipment through a home brew rotary phase
converter on a 50 amp circuit. 50 amps, as I can unplug the converter
and plug in my MIG welder. The convert has 30 amp slow-blow fuses, and
have never popped them. If I got my numbers right, a 12Kw or greater
generator should handle this easily, and handle any 110 stuff I'd want
to run at the same time. I'd take all my conduit and sub panel (plus
some spare breakers) and run circuits for the US stuff, and the normal
circuits for anything I add to the menagerie there.
Anyone have a good idea what HP 3 phase motor I'll need to locate over
there to drive a 12Kw generator?

Now on to the equipment, I could cut back to a smaller generator if I
could run the 3 phase machines on 50Hz. Both Hardinge lathes state 60Hz,
as does the 5hp motor on my CNC mill. The Bridgeport says 50 and 60hz if
I'm reading the stamped tag properly. I'm no electrical engineer, but it
doesn't look to me like it would be wise to try and run the other three
machines on 50Hz, but I find it curious the BP appears to be rated for it.

Thoughts? Comments?

Btw, my reasons for wanting to take the whole shop is because all this
stuff is paid for. In this economy, I'm not going to get near top dollar
for it From what I've heard, machinery and tooling is pretty pricey down
under. Looking into container shipping, and I'm guessing it's going to
be cheaper to ship a working shop that try and find machines there and
have them shipped out to a rural town.

Thanks,

Jon