Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DanG DanG is offline

Default Removing gasket material on military storage boxes

Sounds like a job for the HF multi tool. I have the Fein, and I'd
guess one of the very best uses is removing old caulk, etc.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"mlcorson" wrote in message
Hello All:
I scored some really great square 5 gallon "waterproof" steel
military
type boxes with lids that have an 3/8" indent in the metal lid
in
which a rubber type gasket material marries up to the box to
form a
seal. The lid is held tight by compression clasps. The gasket
material
is old and hard and very difficult to remove. My question is how
remove this material easily, and then, what material do I
replace it
with? Thanks for the help.
Mike