Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Plumbing - How to calculate nipple length

Ray K wrote:
I'm replacing the natural gas shutoff valve to my water heater with a
1/2" ball valve with a red handle. The existing valve is 2.0" long;
the replacement one is 2-1/4", which means that one of the iron
nipples fitting into it must be shortened 1/4". Problem is, I don't
know if the existing ones are standard lengths or one is custom cut
and threaded.
The visible length of the nipple going into the existing valve is
4-9/16". The visible length of the nipple between the output of the
existing valve and the union just in front of the heater is 2.50". The
actual lengths of these nipples are longer by the amounts that fit
into the threads of the valve and the adjacent fittings. How much
should I increase the length of a nipple over the distance between
the end of a fitting and valve to account for the threads that go
into the fittings?
Standard nipples sold in Home Depot and Lowe's vary in length by 1/2".
That's why I think one must be custom cut and threaded.

One other concern is the lace of slack between the input gas supply
and the heater. This suggests that those nipples must be exact
lengths so when tightened there isn't a leak.

The final concern is using a brass valve with iron nipples. Is this
okay with natural gas?

Uh, I think the only come in one size - but different colors. See he

http://www.bodyperks.com/