The Natural Philosopher

Default Which Garage Door Lubricant?

Andrew McKay wrote:

On 14 Jul 2003 12:14:20 -0700, (Andy) wrote:

Which is the best stuff to use to lubricate an up-and-over garage
door? I have steel runners up each side, nylon (?) wheels and a
bloody great spring across the top. The door opens very unevenly and
there seems to be a lot of black streaky stuff on the runners. Can I
just use the normal 3in1, WD40 etc, or is there something better?

I don't know the answer to this question, but I think it's worth
noting that you shouldn't mess with those large springs. At least
that's my impression from what I've read elsewhere.

Reason being that there is a lot of stored energy in those springs
which you don't want to release - it could potentially be harmful to
you. As far as I am aware (and I accept I'm going way off topic here,
sorry!) before releasing those springs from the doorframe you have to
lock them with some sort of pin, so that they retain their stored
energy and can't unwind.

Hah. The will give you a nasty nip. But I have 'repaired' two of em by
strecthing them a bit more and making new ends for em.

Not to be tackled without thought, but not THAT dangerous.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at
http://www.handymac.co.uk