Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb cavelamb is offline

Default water tank design

pyotr filipivich wrote:
Let the Record show that cavelamb on or about
Mon, 18 May 2009 13:26:03 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
pyotr filipivich wrote:
Well,I did say "approximately". Now I'm going to have to go dig
the reference out and check. (As to the "pints a pound" bit - my
response on first hearing that was "Man, beer is expensive!")
Hmm.. 8 pints to the gallon, 8.345 pounds of water to the US
gallon, or .133 cubic foot to the gallon US, so ... whip out ye old
calculator, punch, punch, punch, ... well, dang, he's right.

In both languages, 1 cubic foot of water weighs about 62.43lbs, so the
proposed (80 cu.ft) tank would hold about 4994.4 lbs (2.23 tons) of water
I got 2.5 tons of water, "close enough". Still more than I first
estimated, and still enough to over stress a system 8-)

tschus
pyotr

"I am always willing to learn. I am not always willing to be taught."
WSC

So, in other words, about a queen sized water bed?

Ummm, yeah, seems about that much, if you say so.

Say, if I put a one of them queen size water beds in the other
corner of the house (catty whampus from the part which is sagging, you
recon I might be able to raise the sagging end enough to rebuild the
supports under there?

tschus
pyotr

Upstairs? In a frame house?

No, I think it would lower the whole thing!

Richard