Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] is offline

Default splice underground romex

On Sun, 17 May 2009 20:06:00 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" fired this volley in
om:

They make twist on, gel filled wire nuts for that kind of repair.

They're absolutely, positively a total scam, if the soil under which
they're buried is the least bit moist.

I've had to replace six "hot spot" shorts in buried lines because our
(no longer employed) electrician recommended those direct-burial wire
nuts.

They last about two years in actual service, then start to steam the
soil... at least, the leaks are easy to spot... just look for steam
rising out of the ground.

(the replacement splices are fully-flooded tube splices with silicone
sealant end caps and silicone grease filing. So far, none have failed
in over five years.)

When they say "Direct Burial" they lie. They will fail if totally
buried and I don't care what they promise.

Put the "waterprrof" wirenuts in a handhole, or in a splice box that
you know will get wet from the pagoda light on top of the box. Make
sure the pointy end is up and the big end the wirtes go into is down,
like a diving bell, so if it does flood the inside of the wirenuts
stay dry. And they will live for many years.

If you have some handy, put a gravel bed under the handhole so you
know it has good drainage.

-- Bruce --