Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default long term reliablity computer boards

On 2009-05-17, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[ ... ]

http://www.crucial.com/pdf/productFl...tFlyer_ssd.pdf

32GB: up to 100MB/s (read)
60MB/s (write)
64GB: up to 100MB/s (read)
35MB/s (write)

Hmm ... according to that, it is not EIDE but rather SATA.
Which means that I could not use it in my old Tadpole SPARC based
laptop. (That wants SCSI anyway, so I am still SOL with that. :-) But
for other things, it would suffice.

There are PATA to SATA interfaces for $20 to $30 that plug directly
into the solid state drives, and use the standard 4 pin molex & 80
conductor EIDE cables.

Yes -- but this still does not deal with my need for a larger
SCSI interface drive -- in a SPARC based Tadpole laptop. There is not
room for one bridge card in the drive caddy (the SATA to PATA) let alone
a second one to convert it to SCSI.

There also 5.25" bays to slide the SATA drive
into, so a drive could be pulled out of one computer and stuffed into
the backup machine to get right back to work. The solid state drives
are less susceptible to vibration, use less power, and have a five year
warranty.

Certainly good for systems which use SATA, or even PATA with
the appropriate bridge card. I didn't notice prices on the drives,
however -- and that might be the killer for me. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564