Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Charles U Farley[_3_] Charles U Farley[_3_] is offline

Default Shop lights (fluorescent)

Ignoramus24574 wrote in
:

Bruce, some of the cheap fluorescent lights in my garage are going
out. I want to replace them with something relatively decent, would
you have any suggestions? 120v only.

I'd like to know what other pros use too.

Assuming non high output fixtures:
If you have 4' lamped fixtures and they're physically in decent shape
you can retrofit T8 ballasts. T8 technolgy will start at lower
temperatures and have less flicker.

You could gradually reballast as necessary to T8 electronic assuming a
knowledgeable person (you) would be responsible for instaling the
correct bulbs in a mixed area. As a contractor there is usually a
question to the skill of the regular lamp changer so then we will
replace with the existing technology (T12) to avoid improper lamps being
installed.

Budget allowing, or if more than a portion of the fixtures required
repair then a complete reballast to T8 is recommended to save energy and
have a completely new system that should not require maintenance for a
couple years.

If you have 8' lamped fixtures or your existing fixtures are in tough
shape then you might want to consider changing to something like these:

http://www.acuitybrandslighting.com/...pecsheets/Gene
ral%20Purpose%20Industrials.pdf

The 4 lamp tandem 8' fixture (4' lamps) is good bang for the buck and
will give decent lighting for a shop. Choose 850 lamps (80% color
rendering, 5000ēK color temp) and they will seem brighter to your eyes
than cool whites.