Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default Ironwood

On Sun, 17 May 2009 19:41:15 -0400, "Kevin Cleary" wrote:

Thanks again Mac,those are really nice pieces of art.
Do you use any finish? I did some pens and buffed them using beeswax and
they look pretty good but I was wondering if you sealed them with anything
or just used the natural oils to seal them.
Kevin

Thanks you.. flattery will get ya almost anywhere... ;-]

On the ironwood, I sand to 400 or 600 on the lathe, touch up with any hand work
(to same grit) and run them through the Beall buffing system..

With most other woods, same as above, but higher grits, depending on the wood..

On soft wood, I wet sand with natural Danish oil on the lathe and then buff when
they're cured..

Just read your last line.. I've never had a piece of ironwood with ANY natural
oil.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing