Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Up North[_2_] Up North[_2_] is offline

Default water tank design

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
"The Kid" is on a rolling layoff, so I'm hiring him to do the fabrication
on my 6' by 10' plasma cutter. We're building a water tank 16" high by 6'
by 10'. Our question, how thick a steel do we need to prevent the water
pressure from severely deforming the tank. The main issue is, of course,
the bottom and it would be no big deal to put in a reinforcing angle iron
every two feet.

"The Kid" thinks 0.070" or 14 gauge should be enough. I'm leaning toward
0.100" or 11guage to be sure. Any way to know?

Second question, if we weld every inch of every seam it will warp for
sure. I'd like to just stitch weld it and then use some sort of
sealer/filler to prevent leaks. What would work here?

Karl

I built my water tank out of 14 ga hot rolled and it held fine till I got
tired of that black water mess. I started exhausting the dust from my
machine into a chamber where most of the dust fell out of suspension and
then into the great outdoors.
Steve