Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ELECTRICIANS: Is this safe/NEC/legal?

On Sun, 17 May 2009 13:31:55 -0500, The Daring Dufas

On Sun, 17 May 2009 09:09:44 -0700 (PDT), Tom Horne
wrote:

http://www.nsipolaris.com/electrical/

I'd go with thePolaris Black units, but the insulation displacement
units may work perfectly when installed, and fail over time. They can
NOT be retorqued or released and re-used from what I remember of them.
They are self torque limiting(the head breaks off when tight). If the
copper deforms and looses compression contact you are DONE. With the
standard Polaris (or Burndy, or whatever) lug connector you can snug
up the connection 5, 10, or 20 years down the road with no problem.
You can dissassemble and re=assemble if required.

I'd never use an insulation displacement connector for ANY power
connection. You are, of course, free to use whatever you feel
comfortable.
Givennthe fact the OP can easily disconnect power to the circuit in
question using a "proper" lugged junction is, in my eyes, a
nobrainer.

I'm not sure which connectors you're referring to
but if you can snap off the bolts on the Ilsco
connectors without using a long breaker bar, I
would not want to meet you in a dark alley and
have you mad at me. I've been using the Ilsco
connectors for many years and have yet to have
a problem with them indoors or out. I have used
the Polaris type connectors too and they do a very
good job. The connectors are designed for different
situations and that's the way I use them.

TDD

Correct - they are designed to be used where the "standard" connector
is impractical. Still "second best"
It's been quite a while since I saw an IDC tap - but back then I
wouldn't touch them. Can't recall the manufacturer - but they used a
torque-to-fail bolt like used on many automotive steering
column/ignition switch setups. When you reached the right torque they
snapped off - you could neither under torque or over torque them
(theoretically) if you cranked them 'till the bolt sheared off..
However, if the joint "gave" you ended up with a loose connection down
the line that could NOT be tightened - and removal from a live circuit
was problematic, at best.
All IDC connectors tend to be point or line contact devices by their
very nature - which puts unneeded and undesired stress on the
conductors, as well as limiting contact area.

Like I said - won't catch me using them, but it's a free world (within
the confines of device approval)
Pure aluminum wiring with standard wiring devices was once UL (and
even CSA) approved too.. Even back-stab devices were once approved for
AL wiring IIRC - and still are for copper. Doesn't make them right, or
even safe, long-term.