Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default splice underground romex

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" fired this volley in
m:

They make twist on, gel filled wire nuts for that kind of repair.

They're absolutely, positively a total scam, if the soil under which
they're buried is the least bit moist.

I've had to replace six "hot spot" shorts in buried lines because our
(no longer employed) electrician recommended those direct-burial wire
nuts.

They last about two years in actual service, then start to steam the
soil... at least, the leaks are easy to spot... just look for steam
rising out of the ground.

(the replacement splices are fully-flooded tube splices with silicone
sealant end caps and silicone grease filing. So far, none have failed
in over five years.) One set is directly under the edge of a roof, where the ground gets saturated, but the water doesn't get sucked up inside the solid cover.

Some of mine are ten years old, and still no problems. It's all in
doing it the right way. Even good materials can be screwed up by an
idiot. I've done some armored 10 KV industrial wiring that I wouldn't
splice in a humid room, let alone underground. It was in the power
supply of a commercial UHF TV transmitter.