Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default water tank design

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 May 2009 18:51:06 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

Why so deep? It's just to catch molten "swarf", right? My intuition is
that an inch or 2 of water would be plenty. Bob

Want to be able to go 1" over grates, grates are 3", 3" under grates to
easily scrape swarf out. then a captive air/water tank (let air out water
drops below - air up water goes to grate level) - 8", then 1" slope to
drain
easily. 1+3+3+8+1=16

Karl

I have shop space in a bigger shop that has a ESAB plasma table. 20'x
10'

And the tank is about 5" deep. And its 3/16" tank steel

Gunner

Good to know. Mine will have weeks at a time unused so I want to drop the
water off the grids and into an enclosed tank. Seen the idea I'm using on
another plasma table. Does this shop have a method to do this? I know the
shop my son works at doesn't. They just drain once per week and cleanup.
This lets you wash it out, mine can't do that unless I drain.

You've got me thinking 1/8 with angle reinforce on the bottom. 0.100
elsewhere. I got to watch my costs, this much steel is expensive.

Karl