Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] sligoNoSPAMjoe@hotmail.com is offline

Default Fence over underground wiring

On Sun, 17 May 2009 04:45:34 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

1. If you have not already done so, check your easement. The actual long
version, spelled out or included by reference in your bill of sale or
deed. Don't rely on what neighbors or guy on power company truck said.
They can get rather specific on allowed and disallowed structures, and
on allowed plantings. Easement also sometimes addresses access rights,
especially if the right-of-way is across the back edge of a lot buried
in the middle of a block. (which your footpath comment implies.) They
may have the right to drive a baby backhoe or ditching machine up your
driveway and through your back yard, especially if one of those green
cubes is sitting there.

Yes I have the details on what is allowed and not, in fact I
am on the local board that reviews issues.

2. Did the locator service folks also mark your corner pegs for you?
Make sure you know where the exact corners of your lot are, to avoid
future neighbor and setback disputes.

I located the pegs myself as they were building the home and I
plotted them from know, non-moving points so I could find them again.
That has come in handy more than once.

4. Can't see your lot, so hard to recommend a suitable barrier. Need to
look at it from kid point of view- it just needs to look like a barrier
from the approaches to the foot path. Something that interrupts the line
of sight between the houses may be enough. Kids usually won't stray too
far from the lot lines, lest they get trapped in a back yard with a dog
or something. If they can't see from curb to curb, they will usually
walk elsewhere. A shallow-rooted hedge, alternating rows of dwarf pines,
or even vines on a light wooden trellis, may be all that you need, and
still be cheap and easy to replace if power company has to tear it up. I
would avoid a metal fence on metal poles- some say it is urban myth, but
many have reported induced current problems with putting those parallel
with power lines.

That is more good advice. However it will not work in my
specific situation.

Thanks