Posted to alt.home.repair
Hustlin' Hank Hustlin' Hank is offline

Default Formula for spacing fence pickets??

On May 17, 12:34�pm, SamTheBobber wrote:
Help!

There has got to be a simple math formula for laying out pickets on a wood
fence.

Due to odd terrain, I have several 4x4 posts spaced at 96" and some spaced as
small as 54".

I'm using 1x6 �(5/8" x 5-3/4") treated pickets and want to space them about 3",
maybe 4" apart.

In the past I've just eyeballed the spacing and made a few adjustments. This
time I'd like to layout some centerlines for the pickets based upon the 4x4
spacing that varies.

Thanks!

One more thing: I believe you would want them no farther apart than
the code for a porch railing, because kids can get their head caught
between them. I am not sure what the code calls for, probably 4
inches.

Hank