Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker Steve Walker is offline

Default removing stuck car wheels.

On Sun, 17 May 2009 18:12:50 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article . com,
Jules wrote:
On Sun, 17 May 2009 12:31:30 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article , Alan
wrote:
This was one of the only tyre places that I've used where they don't
just rely on the air gun to do up the wheel nuts. The nuts were first
done up with the air gun and then the fitter went around with a
torque wrench on all wheel nuts.

Even Kwikfit do that these days. But did you see them looking up a
chart for the correct setting?

The cranial meltdown that occurs when they consult the charts and the
vehicle isn't in it can be amusing :-)

I watched them in my local one while waiting for a puncture to be
repaired. Same torque wrench used on three cars without being re-set. Of
course they *could* all have had the same setting.

Bloody Kwikfit - they wouldn't adjust the tracking on my car, as it wasn't
in their book. I told them I could give them the figures and would even
sign a piece of paper to say that they'd done it to my figures, but they
refused. In the end I got somewhere else to do it - I'd only gone to KF as
they were local and I didn't want to drive too far as the car wasn't
registered or tested (it was legal to drive to take it for work to be done,
as the work related to the SVA that was due, but I wanted to avoid any
hassles if I met any Plod that didn't know the rules!) Since then I've made
up my own simple tracking device and can do it myself.

SteveW