Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Installing fence over buried power lines?

wrote in message
Any comments or suggestions on installing a fence over buried
high voltage power lines.

I had the power company come out and mark out their power
lines. There is no problem with the 220V lines to my home or the
neighbors, as I can miss them, but the fence will need to go over a
long stretch of buried high voltage lines.

I contacted the power company after they marked the lines and
they are unable/unwilling to provide information about how deep those
lines are. I would guess they don't want to say they are three to
four foot deep, only to have me found out that they are only two feet
deep where I am digging.

The fence is to be about 4 foot tall with an open (about 80%
open so minimal wind force issues, but young children may well try to
pull them so it does need to be solid.

I missed the posts from yesterday so I don't know what might have been said.

Code (here) calls for house drops to be a minimum of two feet deep and the
main lines to be deeper. A 24" deep 4x4 in concrete on 8' CC posts will
support a 6' privacy fence if you take the time to pick center cut posts and
stringer material. You can't just grab the first pieces of lumber in the
pile!

You are not going to crack a pvc conduit with a clam shell digger so dig
away. If you find a shallow conduit simply increase the width of the hole
and pour a bigger wad of concrete. You can get away with a 24 inch circle
12" deep for a post or two. And the chance of hitting it more than once or
twice on a 50 run is slim.

The utility company will most likely never need to dig it up and if they do
they will repair what they tear up.

Colby