Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] sligoNoSPAMjoe@hotmail.com is offline

Default Installing fence over buried power lines?

Any comments or suggestions on installing a fence over buried
high voltage power lines.

I had the power company come out and mark out their power
lines. There is no problem with the 220V lines to my home or the
neighbors, as I can miss them, but the fence will need to go over a
long stretch of buried high voltage lines.

I contacted the power company after they marked the lines and
they are unable/unwilling to provide information about how deep those
lines are. I would guess they don't want to say they are three to
four foot deep, only to have me found out that they are only two feet
deep where I am digging.

The fence is to be about 4 foot tall with an open (about 80%
open so minimal wind force issues, but young children may well try to
pull them so it does need to be solid.

I was thinking of building a mound of soil giving me more
distance from the power lines. However I can see that it might take a
year or two for that mound to solidify enough to help support the
fence. I was also considering using some sort of concrete, maybe
buried in or under the mound.

Just looking for ideas comments and maybe some experiences.