Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default empty electrical box behind drywall

sid wrote:
On May 16, 4:01 pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
RickH wrote:
On May 16, 2:42 pm, Steve Barker wrote:
RickH wrote:
On May 16, 12:58 pm, wrote:
On Sat, 16 May 2009 10:46:38 -0700 (PDT), RickH
wrote:
No its conduit. In fact new-home union electricians here insist that
all drywall BE UP and house be lockable before they pull their wire.
A properly done conduit rough-in can be wired just as easily with
drywall up. But buried boxes are a huge big no-no with conduit rough
in, the worker needs clear pulls from box to box with no "hidden"
blockades. Best to use normal mudding plate and blank cover. But if
OP insists on no wall plate then just leave off mud plate entirely
because he will have a lot of patching to do later to slip a mud plate
on anyway then remud (or use an over sized wall plate). Also the OP
will be the only one who ever knows this box exists without a wall
plate. If wire is pulled before burial, then I'd use a flat steel
cover before drywalling over it.
Where are you that residential conceled wiring is done in conduit???
The only time conduit is uded in residential wiring here in Ontario is
for exposed wiring, particularly unfinished basement and garage where
wiring is exposed top possible damage, unfinished ceilings where
someone may hang things on it, or in steel studs (occaisionally)
Chicago and the majority of its suburbs require steel conduit. Even
if your town does not require conduit most homeowners here insist on
it or the builders just use conduit anyway, its the norm, so few
builders (even if they could) use romex.
There's NO conduit involved in residential wiring here in the KC metro
area. Probably not in the 4 state area that i know of. I can't imagine
trying to wire a house in conduit. What a pain and waste of time.
s- Hide quoted text -
People are always surprised when I tell them that electricians around
here want to be both "the first ones in and the last ones in". The
electrical rough in guy is here just after being "under roof" he does
all rough in and drops only one or two outlets for everybody else
later. Then plumbing, heating/AC, insulation, drywall. Lastly the
final electrician wires the house, sometimes even after the painters
and cabinets. Flooring is last of course.

I'll bet it has something to do with theft of wire.
We have a very big problem with metal theft around
here. Copper and aluminum will disappear from a job
if there is no security. I can go out to a home to
service an AC unit and look next door at a vacant
house and the AC unit will be stripped of copper and
aluminum. It's not just Negroes doing it, some smart
ass Honkeys from South Alabama were crawling under
cars at large parking lots and stealing the catalytic
converters. When my friend and I install HVAC systems
at an unoccupied home, we won't set the condenser
until the last minute. We have a very short stub for
the line set outside which we seal and pressurize with
nitrogen. It makes it easy to tell if a carpenter pokes
a hole in our tubing. We can't even leave a whip on the
service disconnect or some anus will come along and
steal that too.

TDD- Hide quoted text -

Location: Suburb west of Chicago (everything here is in conduit)
From everyone’s input, probably the best solution would be to place
the two receptacles one at 12" and another at 46" and finish them off.
But run two separate conduit runs down to each box, then in the future
if you wanted to abandon one of them just unhook or pull the wires out
and cover it up ?

Thanks

Chicago? I'm sorry.

But no need for double runs- you can just daisy-chain the boxes. If you
decide to abandon the lower outlets later, rather than add rings to the
front and make them available in the cabinets, just remove the outlets
and the last 3 feet of wire, disconnecting them at the upper box. As
long as no live wires end in a buried box, code does not care about
abandoned conduit runs. Who knows- when you get to the cabinet stage,
you may want to use the lower boxes as junctions to feed something else
built into the lower cabinets. Or you may want to put a mini-fridge down
there or something. You can never have too many outlets, as long as the
circuit has the headroom.

--
aem sends...