Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James Waldby James Waldby is offline

Default splice underground romex

On Sun, 17 May 2009 08:13:20 -0500, Karl Townsend wrote:

I sent the wife on a snipe hunt yesterday. She came home with the wrong
thing.

I need to splice underground romex 12-3 with ground. Four wires. I
remember a kit that had four brass tubes with set screws in a insulating
holder with a large gel filled heat shrink tube.

I couldn't find one in McMaster either, maybe I don't know the name.
She's off to the cites again today. Anybody know what to get to splice
underground romex? If you can get it at a big box store, I'll phone her.
She needs the exact name to tell mostly clueless help at these stores.
Otherwise, I'll order Monday. (I needed this yesterday already)

See http://www.electric-supplier.com/prod/etcon/sk830_w206152.php
and http://www.engproducts.com/OurProducts/products.asp?
CatID=3&SecID=7&SubSecID=31&ProdID=135 where it looks like
"UF Cable Splice Kit" or "UF Direct Burial Splice Kit" would be
ok search terms to find kits like the Epco UFC2B or Etcon SK830
These don't include a separate gel package; the heat shrink tube
apparently has a layer of adhesive on the inside, since the
directions say adhesive should be visible at each end of the
tubing, if properly installed.

--
jiw