Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Osborne Dave Osborne is offline

Default Papering round a corner

Mike Barnes wrote:

He pasted one piece on each side, roughly overlapped. Then he cut down the
middle of the corner from top to bottom with a new blade. He removed the
offcuts (which of course involved peeling back one side of the job).
Then he smoothed it all down. Result: a perfect butt join, *completely*
invisible. Even dragging a fingernail lightly across where the join is,
it's undetectable.

Takes a bit of practice, though, I'd think. My guess is that you have to
angle the blade slightly (away from the exposed edge) to get the sides
to join perfectly on a curved surface.

I've seen this trick done as a matter of course on straight drops as
well as corners. Usually in high-class offices with Muraspec (i.e.
top-quality) wallpaper. Result: completely seamless wall end-to-end. The
trick usually involves a straight edge and a Stanley knife. The straight
edge is often only a metre or so long and they have a knack of smoothly
alternating between pulling the Stanley knife and the straight edge down
the wall.

I tried it at home once and the knife just dragged the edge of the paper
to buggery. So, there's definitely a knack to it and it probably works
better on some types of paper than others.