Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default removing stuck car wheels.

Alan wrote:
In message , Steven
Campbell wrote

I also came up with a few sites suggesting that Alloys are
especially prone to sticking as they sort of weld themselves to the
wheel hub with the heat generated!!!

When I took my car in for new tyres the wheels were stuck on as
described. The fitter used brute force - in a constrained way.

He sat on the ground and with both feet he first kicked (with the
heels of his boots) the bottom of the tyre and then turned the tyre
through 180 degrees and repeated. From the other side he hit the tyre
with lump hammer, turned the tyre trough 180 degrees and hit it
again. He repeated this twice before the wheel came off.

This was one of the only tyre places that I've used where they don't
just rely on the air gun to do up the wheel nuts. The nuts were first
done up with the air gun and then the fitter went around with a torque
wrench on all wheel nuts.

Kwikfit have abandoned the air gun approach & now use a torque wrench, and
least they had last time I went in. Lots of complaints about over doing the
torque had prompted the change apparently.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk