Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Homeowners insurance accuracy of initial application?

"John Grabowski" wrote in
:

"scorpster" wrote in message
We're shopping around for homeowners insurance as it appears we can
find policies these days a lot cheaper than the one we have (might
have something to do with the real estate crash and insurance
companies trying to boost their business). When I received the
binder in the mail from our broker, I had to correct some details
that he wrote down incorrectly. For example that the pool is
in-ground (like I told him) and not above-ground (as in the app) etc.
I told him that we have two dogs (both gentle breeds) but he just
noted one of the dogs on the binder application. I haven't corrected
the dog part yet and I'm not sure if I should bother to do so.

My question is, to what extent should I nit-pick about this form to
have all the details 100% correct? I have the feeling that the
broker is not as concerned about that as I am. But he has 1,000
times more knowledge about the homeowners insurance industry than I
do. I am just concerned that if there is an incorrect detail if we
have a major claim, like if the house burns down, then I don't want
the insurance co. to refuse to cover it because of some "seemingly"
trivial question on the original form is not correct.

*Better to have it in there then not. Make sure that you mention
works of art, computers, TV's, stereos etc. Someone posted a response
a few weeks ago here regarding a fire that a friend had. Based on his
friend's experience he advised taking pictures of everything and
putting them in a safe deposit box for insurance purposes. I thought
that was excellent advice.

taking pictures of everything and
putting them in a safe deposit box

Just take them with a digital, put in a folder structure (by inside,
outside, room, whatever), zip it with "save full path info" and email it
to yourself at like Yahoo. It's then there all nice and safe and
accessable from anywhere. They do the safekeeping and backups.

I've had emails sit there for years in a folder.