Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Convert lawnmower to mulcher?

On Sat, 16 May 2009 10:40:44 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

On May 16, 8:42*am, "Charlie Darwin" wrote:
Subject line says it all.

I've got an MTD/Honda self-propelled walk behind rotary lawn mower. I'm
tired of bagging/dumping the clippings and want to replace stock blade with
a mulching blade.

Me too. I have a tiny end of group townhouse lawn and I borrowed a
bagging mower last week, and the rain made the grass long, and I had
to empty the bag twice in the first five minutes. I can empty it in
the woods next to my house but it took almost twice as much time as
the mowing did. It was going to change a 30 minute job to a 90 minute
job. (or 15 to 45, I forget)

Does this have a side opening, or is the only opening the one for the
bag?

Can do-- yes, no?

Id be suprised if the blade it came with was not intended for
mulching. Read the manual or sales info. I would just try it and see,
mulching is preffered and a standard way mowers are equipped I
thought.

I never even thought about the kind of blade. At the end of the year
when I want to mulch my leaves, I tape a heavy large letter-size
manila envelope over the opening, though any piece of cardboard or
heavy paper will do, and presto, I have a mulching mower. So I never
rake my leaves.

So just try it without changing the blade and see how you like it.
Then, later, if do change the blade, you'll know how much difference
it makes. Come back and tell us.

Now wrt grass, it does leave small hills of grass, like an inch wide
and 3 to 6 inches long. Would a mulching blade scatter all the little
pieces so I can't find them?????

And the county here sends out notices that muching is better. The cut
grass fertilizes the new grass. After all, they're made out of the
same stuff. Plus I have woods to dump things in but for most people
it ends up in land fill, after the cost of trucking it.