Posted to alt.home.repair
LouB LouB is offline

Default VIOP

wrote:
On Sat, 16 May 2009 09:42:01 -0400, LouB wrote:

Other than calling 911 a cell phone will likely go busy during a
emergency so first responders can use their cell phones
That's okay. I have no desire to talk to anyone other than 911 during an
emergency.
no interest in calling family or friends? check in with close family?

to each his own i guess..........

I hate to tell you but in a large emergency the regular phone ;one may
not be much good either! Why??? Because the system is not able to
handle a large number of calls at once.

In my 62 years on the earth I have really only seen that happen once
when the "DC Midtown" exchange locked up, after the JFK assassination.
My mom was still able to get a call through but it took over an hour
to get dial tone. By then I had walked home :-(

Saw it at the same event. Point is it does happen right after big events.