Posted to alt.home.repair
RickH RickH is offline

Default empty electrical box behind drywall

On May 16, 12:14*pm, The Daring Dufas
On May 16, 12:19 pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2009 19:47:10 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:
What i would do then in this case is just set the boxes flush with the
stud, and drywall right over them. *Be sure to map them accurately, and
you have a plan. *Then if you need them, punch them out by rotozipping
on the inside of them and trimming with a util knife as needed.
Not a good idea - the box ears are to be on the outside of the drywall
for a reason
"New work" boxes don't *have* ears.
BZZZZZZ! Wrong! New metal boxes have ears that can
set back for wall thickness or removed completely.
Your standard plastic nail in box usually has no
ears. Metal boxes for conduit usually have no ears,
like the standard "handy box" or the standard 4"
or 4 11/16" square boxes. Metal switch boxes for
Romex are going to have removable ears unless ordered
without. The metal octagon box won't have ears.

I used to work for an electrical supply house. I
filled and shipped thousands of orders for electrical
supplies. I didn't just push paper, I got my hands
dirty handling tons of that stuff.

TDD

So, let's rephrase the problem the other poster pointed out with
putting new in boxes now and going over them with drywall. * When you
later cut them out, the boxes will be set back ~1/2" from where they
should be.

If it were me, I'd just plan on using old work boxes later on. * IMO,
a more useful thing to do rather than bury hidden boxes would be to
leave a pull string in the wall going from where you would later need
to pull romex to the location of the proposed outlet.

The sensible thing to do would be to go ahead and
install the wiring and outlets and be done with it.
The time to do the wiring is when you have open walls.
The wiring and devices aren't that expensive and it's
a lot easier and A LOT LESS EXPENSIVE to do it then.
Of course, you may consider what your time is worth
if you're doing it yourself. I can assure you that if
you call in an electrician later, you'll spend a lot
of money.

TDD- Hide quoted text -

No its conduit. In fact new-home union electricians here insist that
all drywall BE UP and house be lockable before they pull their wire.
A properly done conduit rough-in can be wired just as easily with
drywall up. But buried boxes are a huge big no-no with conduit rough
in, the worker needs clear pulls from box to box with no "hidden"
blockades. Best to use normal mudding plate and blank cover. But if
OP insists on no wall plate then just leave off mud plate entirely
because he will have a lot of patching to do later to slip a mud plate
on anyway then remud (or use an over sized wall plate). Also the OP
will be the only one who ever knows this box exists without a wall
plate. If wire is pulled before burial, then I'd use a flat steel
cover before drywalling over it.