Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default DPC heatbank heat loss

In article
,
Bodgit writes
I installed a Pandora heatbank from DPC about 2 years ago. It's always
worked well but I've always been concerned that it seems to leak a lot
of heat, but I've never got round to actually measuring it until now
(had 2 kids in the meantime that took all my time!)

The design code is CPC-150-ABBDA-AAJA-H (150 litre Pandora)
At 10.30pm the temp was 78 deg.C.
At 8.00 am the temp was 64 deg.C.

It was completely powered down overnight, so the loss can not be due
to a dripping tap etc.

I work that out as 8.8KJ over 9.5 hours, so an average heat loss of
about 250W, which seems very high!

I'm wondering if such a high loss could be due to the fittings etc. or
if it's likely that the insulation is compromised.

I emailed DPC a week ago but haven't received a reply as yet.

My 205L cylinder (not heatbank) quotes a loss equivalent to around 132W
so your 250W for a smaller cylinder does sound a bit high but I could
see a lot going through the extra pipework associated with a heatbank.

Are all the pipes around the bank fully insulated? I have 19mm walled
pipe insulation on mine. Cylinder insulation is a fairly basic 35mm.

I don't think it's a major convection loop though, you'd be losing heat
a lot quicker than that.
--
fred