Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_5_] Steve Barker[_5_] is offline

Default empty electrical box behind drywall

wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2009 19:47:10 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

sid wrote:
On May 15, 12:17 pm, RickH wrote:
On May 15, 9:19 am, sid wrote:

While finishing my basement, Can I place electrical boxes where I
might want to place receptacles in the future ? Leave the cutout to
the surface and "empty" conduit over to a live box. Then cover the
opening with tape, mud and paint.
In the future, If I ever want to place a receptacle there, just break
the tape with a utility knife and push wire back to the live box and
terminate.
Is there anything wrong with this ?
Like others said, mud it normally and put on a blank cover wall
plate. You dont want to "bury" the box.
Our intention was to place receptacles along the walls 12" from the
floor (like the rest of the house), then we talked about placing extra
receptacles 46" high incase we wanted to place a counter there some
day. But, if we did not install the counter, then the receptacles
placed for counter use would be an eye-sore. I was considering
leaving empty boxes behind the drywall as an alternative.

Thanks

What i would do then in this case is just set the boxes flush with the
stud, and drywall right over them. Be sure to map them accurately, and
you have a plan. Then if you need them, punch them out by rotozipping
on the inside of them and trimming with a util knife as needed.

Not a good idea - the box ears are to be on the outside of the drywall
for a reason

box ears?