Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Leslie-Locke attic ventilator

On May 15, 11:11*am, (caribeso)
wrote:
caribeso had written this in response tohttp://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Leslie-Locke-attic-ven...
*:

for all of you out there who have this problem:
i had a two speed leslie locke motor which stopped working. after taking
it out i did a resistance check and noticed that though it was open
between the white and either of the hot leads, there was resistance
between the two hots (black and red). *i know this is a little unorthodox,
but i connected those two to to my line in, and the fan now works fine,
probably at slow speed due to the center tap. *not sure how long it will
work this way, but a lot easier and cheaper than getting a new motor to
fit. *give it a try if you have a two speed motor with a center tap!

You can do that in your house. I would not do it in mine, nor would
I recommend anyone wire up a motor in an attic fan in any way other
than it was intended to be used. You can buy a whole new attic fan
for $75, or a replacement motor for less. How lucky do you feel?

wrote:
chalupa wrote:
Did you resolve your issues?

I have the same problem... except my Leslie Locke motor doesn't
list
RPMs, so I'm sort of clueless on replacement.

LESLIE LOCK BLDG. PRODUCTS
P/N - 909312 - UL E146880
120V 60Hz 4.0 AMPS
ELECTRICAL INSULATION UL 14460BJY3 CLASS A
THERMALLY PROTECTED UL547 X CM02
DOW - 136 - 0 - 40 - XIN
MADE IN CHINA * * * * * 01 - 99

The tubular part of the hood that the fan mounts in seems to be
about
17" diamter if that helps. The fan itself is a 3-blade with
what seems
to me to be a steep pitch to the blades... i.e. should move a lot
of
air at relatively low RPM.

FYI, I did find this Master Flow replacement motor at Home Depot
online
for $41.95...
[image:

http://imagex.homedepot.com/f/248/13...m/cmc_uplo...]

A direct link didn't work but you can go to homedepot.com and
search
for Master Flow.

I note that this same replacement motor is used for ALL of the
Master
Flow attic fans that Home Depot carries -- both roof and gable
mounted.
Interestingly, these fans have different diameter and CFM airflow
ratings. So perhaps the RPM on these things is fairly standard...
i.e.
I can slap that puppy on my fan and life will be good? *From the
photo
the motor mounting looks the same as my Leslie Locke.

Or perhaps I'd be better buying a complete unit and cannibalizing
the
motor and fan to keep them matched? *(I'd rather not replace
everything
because I don't want to mess with the roof shingles.)

--
chalupa

Chalupa,
I ended up finding a motor on eBay (Lomanco, I believe, with similar
ratings). *However, the motor spins and appears to vibrate rather
excessively (the canopy above the fan can be seen vibrating from the
yard). *I have not had a chance to really investigate whether there is
a problem with the fan blades, or whether the fan is too close to the
canopy and there is not enough space for the air to probably escape
(i.e., putting pressure on the canopy). *When I initially got it
working, I did not notice a pull of air through the space, but I
haven't had a chance to get on the roof to see if air is being
propelled out of the attic.
I will hopefully have time this weekend.
Dave

Delivered via *http://www.thestuccocompany.com/