Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default VIOP

Jon Danniken wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:

Can you call out 911 for emergency and the 911 dispatcher will
know where you are calling from like land line?

Yep. It has to be registered, and if you move and take the line
with you, you have to re-register. You also need a UPS or other
form of battery backup so you won't lose phone service during a
power outage.

I can count on one finger the number of times my land line has been
down in the last 20 years.

I need both hands and both feet to count the number of times my
internet service (Comcast) has been down in the last six years.

I agree with you there. Our internet service can be good but has a habit of
going down most mornings for an hour or so, it appears they are working on
upgrades, which result in downgrades these days.

Also we had a bad storm a couple of weeks ago, power was out for 18 hours
(this is in a large city). The POTS phone kept working, internet went down
after about 8 hours. A friend up the street with VOIP phone had no service
after about 2 hours. He needed help as is basement was flooding and couldn't
call out to his son, I don't know if he had a cell phone or if his battery
also died.