Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default Drive dump truck over lawn?

On May 15, 4:01*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On May 15, 1:20*pm, wrote:

Thank you again for all the replies. *The neighbor said that she
doesn't really care too much about her lawn (if you can believe
that). *

I don't, and more importantly, you shouldn't either. *You really,
really don't want to use the neighbors property for access. *If the
damage to her lawn is not exactly what she imagines - Murphy's Law
being what it is - she won't be pleased. *If you are on good terms
with the neighbor, keep it that way and find a better option.

And I said that I would work my best to fix any damage, should
any occur.

That's where the issue comes in. *Your idea of best and hers will
almost assuredly vary.

Perhaps I will double up the plywood to 1" thick and see
what happens. *Moving the plywood several times is going to be a hell
of a lot easier than moving 5 tons of crushed stone via wheelbarrow.
And afterwards, I don't care about the plywood at all - I bought it
pretty much to sacrifice. *Another bonus is that I have 2 pallets of
concrete pavers coming in before the stone - and they use a heavy duty
forklift - so I can see how that fares before increasing the weight to
a full truck. *thx...I'll let you know how it turns out. *Jus curious
- anyone know approx how *many wheelbarrow trips it would take to move
5 tons of crushed stone anyway?

You are blowing this thing _way_ out of proportion and focusing on the
wrong things. *You should have mentioned the forklift in your first
post as well. *You are making it difficult to help you by giving
information in dribs and drabs. *Depending on what type of forklift
the guy uses, it can damage your lawn as much if not more than the
truck would. *The piggy-back forklifts can weigh three or four tons on
their own, and that rear rotating wheel can dig a nice hole for you.

You have to move some stuff and some weight, but it's not all that
much stuff and not all that much weight. *Crushed stone is around 100
pounds per cubic foot. A high school kid can move 200 or 250 pounds
per load, a day labor closer to twice that with the appropriate
wheelbarrow. *A couple of high school kids and a couple of
wheelbarrows would have the stuff moved in a day. *A day labor would
move the stuff by himself in a day. *The wheelbarrow will not be
damage-free for the lawn either, but the 1/2" OSB will be fine for
that.

I had to replace some drainage pipe. My neighbor wouldn't let me
bring in a backhoe so I didn't fight the idea -- didn't want to ****
of the neighbor. So I hired 2 high school kids between their junior
and senior years. They moved stone all summer in 5 gallon buckets and
wheel barrows.

As seniors, they had their best years ever playing football.

So your decsion is if it's worth a hundred or a hundred and a half to
hire someone to move the stuff for you, or are you relations with your
neighbor and both of your lawns not worth that much to you. *To me it
seems to be a no-brainer.

Someone posted about just filling in the ruts. *That doesn't work very
well. *That compacted soil will not stay compacted forever without a
load on it. *If you add a couple or three inches of dirt to fill it
in, eventually the compacted soil will rise up a bit and you'll have a
couple of humps running down the lawn. *Someone else mentioned a This
Old House episode - that's the right way to fix the ruts, but it's
better to avoid the ruts in the first place. *If, as someone else
posted, you have that Princeton soil or whatever that gets rock hard
when it's dry, then obviously you should just wait until it's dry.