Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Drive dump truck over lawn?

On May 15, 1:20*pm, wrote:
Thank you again for all the replies. *The neighbor said that she
doesn't really care too much about her lawn (if you can believe
that). *

I don't, and more importantly, you shouldn't either. You really,
really don't want to use the neighbors property for access. If the
damage to her lawn is not exactly what she imagines - Murphy's Law
being what it is - she won't be pleased. If you are on good terms
with the neighbor, keep it that way and find a better option.

And I said that I would work my best to fix any damage, should
any occur.

That's where the issue comes in. Your idea of best and hers will
almost assuredly vary.

Perhaps I will double up the plywood to 1" thick and see
what happens. *Moving the plywood several times is going to be a hell
of a lot easier than moving 5 tons of crushed stone via wheelbarrow.
And afterwards, I don't care about the plywood at all - I bought it
pretty much to sacrifice. *Another bonus is that I have 2 pallets of
concrete pavers coming in before the stone - and they use a heavy duty
forklift - so I can see how that fares before increasing the weight to
a full truck. *thx...I'll let you know how it turns out. *Jus curious
- anyone know approx how *many wheelbarrow trips it would take to move
5 tons of crushed stone anyway?

You are blowing this thing _way_ out of proportion and focusing on the
wrong things. You should have mentioned the forklift in your first
post as well. You are making it difficult to help you by giving
information in dribs and drabs. Depending on what type of forklift
the guy uses, it can damage your lawn as much if not more than the
truck would. The piggy-back forklifts can weigh three or four tons on
their own, and that rear rotating wheel can dig a nice hole for you.

You have to move some stuff and some weight, but it's not all that
much stuff and not all that much weight. Crushed stone is around 100
pounds per cubic foot. A high school kid can move 200 or 250 pounds
per load, a day labor closer to twice that with the appropriate
wheelbarrow. A couple of high school kids and a couple of
wheelbarrows would have the stuff moved in a day. A day labor would
move the stuff by himself in a day. The wheelbarrow will not be
damage-free for the lawn either, but the 1/2" OSB will be fine for
that.

So your decsion is if it's worth a hundred or a hundred and a half to
hire someone to move the stuff for you, or are you relations with your
neighbor and both of your lawns not worth that much to you. To me it
seems to be a no-brainer.

Someone posted about just filling in the ruts. That doesn't work very
well. That compacted soil will not stay compacted forever without a
load on it. If you add a couple or three inches of dirt to fill it
in, eventually the compacted soil will rise up a bit and you'll have a
couple of humps running down the lawn. Someone else mentioned a This
Old House episode - that's the right way to fix the ruts, but it's
better to avoid the ruts in the first place. If, as someone else
posted, you have that Princeton soil or whatever that gets rock hard
when it's dry, then obviously you should just wait until it's dry.