Posted to alt.home.repair
Ernie Willson Ernie Willson is offline

Default Drive dump truck over lawn?

wrote:
Thanks for the replies. Yep, i'm in the princeton area and we did get
quite a bit of rain recently. I have several 16" wide plywood boards,
taht I think are actually OSB, 1/2" thick. I have enough to lay out
probably 50 feet at a time in parallel tracks for each tire, so might
need to move them once during the dump. Do you think they would be
sturdy enough to distribute the weight and avoid ruts? The big
problem is that they would need to cross my neighbor's lawn too - and
while they've said it would be okay, I don't want to be fixing their
lawn for the next 2 months as that might annoy them just a bit.
thanks again.

All I can say is that using the plywood will help. Unfortunately there
are just too many unknowns to make a firm statement. Most likely it will
be OK. The only acid test I know is to watch carefully as the truck
moves over the boards. If problems develop send the truck back and dump
the load for moving manually.

If your soil is like my "Princeton Shale" it is like soup when wet, but
it sets up like concrete when dry. When it is dry you can bounce bowling
balls off it. This is why I think you may be wise to wait till the soil
drys out.

I'd be very careful about the neighbors lawn..these things have habit of
becoming nasty when things go wrong.

HTH...Good luck.

EJ in Montgomery