Posted to alt.home.repair
mike mike is offline

Default How to fill gap in miter joint

On May 15, 7:43*am, evodawg wrote:
Ray K wrote:
The base molding (two inches high) at an inside corner has about a 1/8"
gap at the inner edge (as though both miter angles are a few degrees
less than 45 degrees). *The mitered ends (along with the rest of the
molding) were primed and painted before being nailed in place. What
should I use to fill the gap? The choices are wood filler, caulk, and
spackling compound. The filler will be painted.

Thanks,

Ray

That's the reason for using the cope method for inside corners. Use
paintable caulk water soluble.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

I can make 20 perfect inside corner joints on a decent power miter saw
in the time it takes you to make one coped inside corner joint (if
you're lucky and don't screw up the coping).

If I want to make adjustments of a fraction of a degree, I use folded
paper on the backside of the molding in the appropriate spot.

But I agree on the caulk if this is painted molding.