Posted to alt.home.repair
stan stan is offline

Default Drive dump truck over lawn?

On May 15, 11:34*am, Ernie Willson wrote:
wrote:
I am getting 5 tons of modified (crushed) stone delivered via dump
truck for a patio. I already have the area excavated, so most
convenient would be for the truck to dump right in the hole...but
would require driving over the rest of the lawn to get there. *It's a
small(er) truck, but I still wonder if it is going to destroy the
lawn, especially since it rained hard last night. *Any suggestions? *I
really don't feel like transporting 5 tons of stone by myself if I
don't have to.

Thanks,

Generally speaking truckers take no responsibility for your lawn. I once
paid more for cleanup than for the cement that was delivered. I live in
the Princeton NJ area, and it looks like you might too. Due to the
recent rain the ground here will be wet here for at least another month.
I'd put off the delivery until the ground was dry. Failing that I'd have
the truck only enter my yard on temporary roadway...something like large
boards (to distribute the load).

If you can't do either then perhaps you could hire a small lawn
maintenance/landscaping company to move the stone by wheelbarrow (on
boards) across your lawn. It should be only about 75 wheelbarrow trips.

Because of their smaller tires, small trucks can actually do more damage
than larger trucks.

HTH,

EJ in NJ

Yes ruts. But filling them in and letting the grass grow back over
next couple of months may be a small price to pay!

It's only a bit of soil and some grass after all! Grass is expendable
and regrowable; in fact some horticulturists suggest that grass is a
waste of time, effort etc. and recommend seeding with clover instead.
Clover puts nutrients back into the soil and needs less cutting.

Trying to move tons of crushed stone by hand/wheelbbarrow etc. is
heavy work!

Putting down some old pieces of plywood etc. might help spread the
weght of truck tyres.

Buying crushed stone to be delived by a 'Stone Slinger' truck would
presumably be more costly?