Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] jmartin957@aol.com is offline

Default Should I get a 3 jaw chuck or a 4 jaw chuck for my dividing head?

On May 13, 7:24*pm, Wes wrote:
I'm leaning towards the 4 jaw independent. *Thoughts.

Wes

4 jaw, definitely - unless you spend so much time using the dividing
head that dialing in the 4 jaw gets to be a drag. In which case,
you'll probably be using collets anyway.

You can do things with a 4 jaw chuck that you simply can't do with a 3
jaw. I can't think of anything that the 3 jaw can do that the 4 jaw
can't. Holding hex stock comes the closest, but the 4 jaw will do
even that with some patience. If holding hex stock is your primary
objective with the dividing head chuck though, I'd opt for the 3 jaw.
Or hex collets.

Assuming that your dividing head allows for disengaging the worm gear,
dialing in the 4 jaw is quick. As others have already mentioned.

John Martin