Posted to rec.woodworking
LD LD is offline

Default OT Health Care

"Swingman" wrote in message
LD wrote:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 5/14/2009 1:31 PM LD spake thus:

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
om...

On Thu, 14 May 2009 09:08:40 +0000, LD wrote:

And last year in the UK they got the waiting Time for care of
Critical
Cancer patients down to Six Months.

Cite please.

My bad. They got it down to Sixty Two Days. Of course, with some
cancers you're dead in 62 days.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/7894641.stm

Slightly misleading. First of all, we were talking about England, I
thought, and this refers to Scotland.

*UK* What part of *UK* is Scotland?

In any case, it isn't a "62-day waiting period": the article says "The
target, set in 2000, requires that 95% of patients begin treatment
within 62 days of being urgently referred." This means, I'm assuming,
that there is a *maximum* allowable time of 62 days until the patient is
treated. Presumably, those with more urgent cancers may be treated
sooner.

Or MAY NOT.

And, lest you trot into malformed uninformed notions ...

1. My sister lives in England.
2. I have 2 cousins living in England.
3. I have 2 cousins living in Scotland.
4. I have nieces and nephews living in England.
5. I have second cousins all over the UK.
6. I communicate with these people.
7. Their biggest gripe is the NHS.
8. My sister and her family lived in the US for five years.
9. I was Born in the UK.
10. I spent six months in a National Health Hospital.

Likewise ... married to a British subject at the time, I spent 18 months
under NHS.

My oldest daughter is a British subject and lives in Sheffield with SIL
and two small children, both of whom have been ill lately. She is NOT
happy with the care her children are receiving under NHS (and
"Collaborative GP", whatever the hell that is) and wondering why the hell
we would want to follow suit.

Her continuing caution, having lived under both (US/UK) systems: "Do not
change your health care system to one like ours, you will be sorry!"

Precisely my sister's words! But you don't need the relatives or first hand
experience, just look at the BBC news. Every day there is something about
the NHS failing or struggling. Yesterday it was police in Wales complaining
that they are doing far too many 'ambulance' runs in squad cars and they
think it is just a matter of time before somebody dies on them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/

Here's one from today:

[Long wait for mental health help

Some people seeking mental health services in Scotland are kept waiting for
more than a year, the public spending watchdog has revealed.

Audit Scotland said there was a lack of information on national waiting
times.

But "very long waits" in some areas may reflect a wider trend, its Overview
of Mental Health Services report concluded.

It found waits of between 58 and 77 weeks for psychological therapies in two
areas covered by NHS Highland.

In Tayside, 40% of older people referred to psychology services were waiting
longer than 18 weeks. ]

And they say the wait has "improved".